Tuesday, October 27, 2015

If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands



Buenos días!

I went into this last week with a question in my heart: "How can I be an even happier person?" Well, let's start with what made me so happy this week..
  • Following promptings from the Spirit always makes me happy. In this case, we ran into a less active we have tried to contact for awhile because of following the spirit. 
  • we have two new investigators! One from knocking on her door (she is inviting her whole family to the lesson) and the other through a member. 
  • Zone meeting this week was on point. Everything said was so inspiring and motivating. Plus, Sister Ballard is probably one of the best mission moms ever. 
  • Sister Berry, my Sister Training Leader (STL), did exchanges with me! It was a blast! And we got so much done and I learned a ton. And someone bought us dinner which was very sweet. In fact, we were sandwiched between a member, a man taking the discussions, and a member from the Spanish branch. See, you never know who is watching! You best always be doing what you are supposed to be doing! 
  • We found the YSA a new investigator while doing service in the community. It's all about Opening Your Mouth (OYM). 
  • We got pumpkin shakes from Burgerville and they were amazing. 
  • We lost our phone and then found it! The second part made me much happier than the first part. 
  • I have an awesome grandmother who taught me how to use a sewing machine and because of that, I was able to help sew dresses made from pillowcases for girls in Africa at our wards Soup'er Service night. That was a very fun and good night 
  • I lost my voice but the good news is it is back again! 
  • We were able to move a recent convert out and then we helped direct runners and cheer them on at the Holly Hoop, a 5k-10k for the little girl in my ward who has a brain tumor. We got a big group of missionaries to help out and although my voice was practically gone, we were still so happy and energetic while we watched as everyone willingly supported Holly. It brought tears to my eyes at times as I saw the happiness in everyone's eyes and how happy Holly was. 
  • I received an awesome package from my amazing sister Chani. ️ 
  • There was a Missionary Leadership meeting in the same building and Sister Berry's companion had no one to go with. We had her join us for an hour and it was so fun to have a full car with the cook park sisters as well (who always make me happy!). Well, when we had to drop her off again in Lake Oswego the sisters came with us again and we were all going to go out to eat together. The traffic in Oregon is terrible and so we were a bit late to get Sister Berry. We saw at President Ballard was still there too so we felt bad. What I haven't mentioned yet is that Elder Richard J. Maynes, who spoke at conference, was the one speaking to the missionaries. We walked in and President Ballard saw our gang and laughed then invited us to come meet Elder Maynes! We got to shake his hand and take a picture but the best part was the things he said to us. You could feel his testimony the whole time. It was a way night. -We then had chipotle with the sisters and Sister Berry told us all about what he said. It pumped me up even more! 
As you can tell, we had a great week! By the end of the week, I could barely contain my "exceeding joy." But I believe this happiness also came from seeking the answers to my question. It was in my personal studies that I began to truly open up my heart to Heaven.

As I began to research "Happiness" I was led to countless scriptures, 166 to be precise. There were some that stuck out more than others. Such as:

James 5: 10-11 (count them happy who endure)
1 Peter 3: 14-15 (when you suffer for righteousness sake, happy are ye)
Proverbs 14:21 (happy is he who has mercy on the poor)
Proverbs 16: 20 (happy is he who trusteth in the Lord)
John 13: 17, Mosiah 2: 41 (happy is he who know and keeps the laws, ordinances, and commandments)
The scriptures lay it all out there for you. There is no secret to happiness, the mysteries of God have been unfolded before you! They are within reach! Literally, you probably have a phone in front of you that has access to scriptures, or maybe a Book of Mormon on your bookshelf. Happiness is waiting for you.

In Alma 41:10 it says, " Do not suppose, because it has been spoken concerning restoration, that ye shall be restored from sin to happiness. Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness." I love that. Someone recently tried to convince us that following Satan is fun and worthwhile, that it brings happiness. Before leaving, I told him that Satan might bring him temporary happiness, but God can bring eternal happiness. We saw the gears working after that. How insane is that!? Alma says it right there: WICKEDNESS NEVER WAS HAPPINESS.

Then in 4 Nephi it talks of the Lamanites and Nephites coming together in righteousness. It verse 16 and 18 it says, "...surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.

And how blessed were they! For the Lord did bless them in all their doings; yea, even they were blessed and prospered until an hundred and ten years had passed away; and the first generation from Christ had passed away, and there was no contention in all the land." And in Alma 50:23 it mentions that there was never a happier time. So here is my question again: "How can I be that happy??" Well if you read in 4 Nephi 15-7 it tells you:

15 And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.
16 And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.
17 There were no robbers, nor murderers, neither were there Lamanites, nor any manner of -ites; but they were in one, the children of Christ, and heirs to the kingdom of God.

It is so simple. Stay on he straight and narrow path! Keep the commandments, endure to the end, serve and love others and trust in the Lord! Doesn't this sound familiar? Could it possibly be the baptismal covenants we take upon ourselves when we enter into that bright gate? It sure is folks! Don't forget to Remember Him. When you do that, everything else comes into place. Read your scriptures prayerfully, pray always, and attend all three hours of church! It is easy! And much less expensive than "the happiest place on earth." Think of the eternal perspective, with the end in mind. Isn't that what we teach all the time anyways? The "Plan of HAPPINESS?" I love what Elder Joy said at zone meeting, " The two most important days of our lives are the day we are born and the day we understand why we were born." Never forget that. There is a purpose. Learn all you can learn and then share what you know. How "exceedingly joyful" will you be when you stand in front of your Father in Heaven and he proclaims unto you, " How blessed are you thou good and faithful servant!"

The Gospel of Jesus Christ brings me so much happiness! I know for a surety of its truthfulness. I am more happy than I have ever been in my entire life! I LOVE MY LIFE SO MUCH. I wish you all could be on a mission right now because it is honestly the best thing I have ever done! I CANT EVEN CONTAIN MY HAPPINESS RIGHT NOW!! I love you all! Have a great week!! Happy Halloween!


Love, Sister Waite 


At Lee Farms Pumpkin Patch Pickin' with Cook Park sisters

Pumpkin carving with Lake Oswego
Add caption

Proof that I did sew

Holly Hoop with Holly






No comments:

Post a Comment